[jdom-interest] JDOM and very large files

Todd O'Bryan toddobryan at mac.com
Fri Oct 10 02:18:03 PDT 2003

When I had to parse sections of a large file, I wrote a utility class
that would load the next element of the kind I was concerned with. For
instance, if the document was of the form

<foo>
	<bar>
		lots of stuff
	</bar>
	<bar>
		lots of stuff
	</bar>
	<bar>
		lots of stuff
	</bar>
</foo>

I subclassed a Reader that would return the next <bar> element and used
JDOM to parse and manipulate it. If your document is less
straightforward, that might not be possible, but recall that the point
of JDOM is that you get the whole XML tree in memory to manipulate and
play with at once. If you don't want that, you have to decide which
parts to leave out.

Todd