[jdom-interest]   not getting converted to

Jason Hunter jhunter at xquery.com
Thu Apr 22 14:18:04 PDT 2004

The output you see contains the direct UTF-8 character for a
non-breaking space.  It shows up like a funny character because the
environment in which you're viewing the file probably isn't UTF-8 aware.
  Semantically though the files are identical.  The JDOM one uses one
char where the others use six.  If you want ASCII encoding, set the
outputter to use ASCII.  It'll then automatically encode chars that
can't be represented within ASCII.  You can also just set an escape
strategy on the outputter directly if you want UTF-8 but want to encode
characters that wouldn't ordinarily need to be encoded.

-jh-