SV: [jdom-interest] Announcing JDOM b10-rc1

Per Norrman pernorrman at telia.com
Sat Feb 14 16:49:15 PST 2004

Hi,

som feedback (late in the game ...)

I have seen the Parent/Child stuff in CVS but never actually looked at
the changes and consequences in detail. Until now.

To me, the Parent/Child/Container/Content/whatever stuff is really of no

practical use. Over the years (four, isn't it?) I've acquired a certain
JDOM
coding style, which is now suddenly subliminally altered. There was once
a vision,
an interface-less vision, which is now blurred. Funny thing, when I
study my
collective JDOM code, I never seem to treat a Document node the same as
an
Element node! In fact 99.99% (or close) of my processing is concerned
with either an
Element, an Attribute or a Text node. I think there isn't enough
commonality
to justify a Parent abstraction, at least not in the practical cases.

I really think these changes are going to make more harm than good,
considering
the (long) history of the API.

As an experiment, I took the beta-10 code and applied it to an older
project, started
with beta-7 and where beta-9 worked OK. This code does some really
intricate navigation inside a rather large, validated, document.
Element#getParent() not being an Element
really blowed that piece of code away!!

As for the method names, getChildren/getChildElements, etc: this issue
is of minor
importance, considering the modern IDEs (as long as the behaviour is
the same).
For the record, I would prefer getChildElements (or even
childElements--the JavaBeans
naming standard is overused).

I think this is my point: Stick with the initial vision, follow through
with the
consequences. You are never going to achieve the perfect API**. Skip
Parent/Child!

Two other issues, perhaps on a smaller scale:

*) Did you consider the change I proposed to XMLOutputter?
http://www.servlets.com/archive/servlet/ReadMsg?msgId=447565&listName=jd
om-interest

*) Why can't I *get* the current Format from XMLOutputter?

**
Or maybe this is the "Quest for the Holy API".  We are are all going to
be arrested
on a Scottish moor for believing in an ephemeral computational vision,
thus being a
threat to the IT society as a virtual impossibility ....

/pmn

uraddr at yourhost.com