[jdom-interest] JDOM Beta10 released

Rolf Lear rlear at algorithmics.com
Tue Feb 17 09:17:47 PST 2004

I think the reality is that the "Content" concept (abstract Content) is a
really good one, but the "Parent" concept has been poorly received.
Parent/Child does not really exist conveniently in XML, and "Content"
unifies almost all the similarities available. "Parent" is a diversifying
concept, not a unifying concept. This is especially true because "Element"
is where almost all the interaction with JDom happens, and people are
familiar with Element.

The only substantial change introduced with "my" Parent/Child patch was the
reduction of Element addContent() to Parent addContent()... Ignoring the
"Parent" relationship solves the API change...

i.e. applying the patch I sent earlier today essentially reverts the API to
b9 state, but keeps all the "wins: from having "Content".

Rolf