[jdom-interest] An easy way to write valid XHTML/SVG (etc) documents

Rick Beton richard.beton at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Feb 26 15:14:15 PST 2004

Hi All,

I'm interested in programmatically generating XML documents for XHTML
and SVG. I'm not interested in old HTML tag soup any more: I want
well-formed valid XML documents.  JDOM seems the most suitable tool for
doing this.

As far as I can tell, JDOM doesn't include a validator. It is very
effective at creating new well-formed documents, but they might not be
valid.  There are two possible solutions to this: (1) provide a means to
use an external validator (e.g. Xerces2) so that an in-memory document
can be validated; (2) provide a means to produce valid documents by
construction.  Both approaches would have their merits and both might
coexist.

I'm not the person to comment on (1) because I'm new to using JDOM.

On (2), I think there could be sope for adding a small number of classes
to JDOM, most likely in their own package. Just thinking aloud, how
about the following three classes?:

    * ValidDocument: an abstract class that knows the DTD based on a
table-driven set of rules.  This would probably extend Document, but
alternatively might use a 'decorator' pattern to wrap a Document
instance (not much use without a common interface though).

    * XHTMLDocument: a concrete subclass that allows elements and
attributes to be added provided they form a valid XHTML  document.
Different flavours would be needed to support XHTML 1.0
Strict/Transitional plus XHTML 1.1 etc.; this wouldn't necessarily need
another publicly visible class for each flavour: rather, a factory
method could create suitable (private) subclass instances.

    * SVGDocument: ditto for SVG.

Is this a good idea? Is it worth me putting in a bit of effort to write
a prototype?

Regards,
Rick :-)