[jdom-interest] JDOMSource problems with Xalan 2.5.2: vanishing DOCTYPE white spaces

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym at canada.com
Fri Jan 16 12:49:56 PST 2004

I have a legacy application that worked fine with jdom-b8 and
Xalan 2.0, but for other reasons we have to upgrade to Xalan 2.5.2
which we've tried with both the XercesImpl shipped with it and 
with Xerces 2.6.0 with the same results:

1) First, we create the jdom.Document dom ...

   SAXBuilder builder = new SAXBuilder(getSaxClass(), false);


   dom  = builder.build(new StringReader(doc.toString()));

2) Then create the JDOMSource and transformer

   JDOMSource jds = new JDOMSource(dom);

   TransformerFactory tfact = TransformerFactory.newInstance();
   // set tfact optimize on and incremental off

   Transformer xslt = tfact.newTransformer(new StreamSource(xsl));
   // xsl is a File object to our transform

3) I then apply the transform ...

   JDOMResult newdom = new JDOMResult();
   xslt.transform( jds, newdom);

and get an untrappable error on stderr:

[Fatal Error] :1:53: White spaces are required between publicId and systemId.

"1:53" does indeed refer to the space between the public and system
identifiers in the input files, but those identifiers are clearly
seperated by a space, a real ASCII space.

when I check the input documents ...

   DocType dtd = dom.getDocType();

    cat.debug( "Process " + doc.getTag()
               + "\n PublicID = " + dtd.getPublicID()
               + "\n SystemID = " + dtd.getSystemID());

    cat.debug( dom.toString());

I get data that looks just fine ...

    2004-01-16 15:19:07,396 [Thread-2] DEBUG 
    ca.cbc.sportwire.dochandler.ToNewsMLFilter  - 
    Process AutoRacingDriverProfile.dtd #1167699
    PublicID = -//TSN//DTD Leader 1.0/EN
    SystemID = file:///home/ticker/ticker/fantasysports/tsn/AutoRacingDriverProfile.dtd

    2004-01-16 15:19:07,396 [Thread-2] DEBUG 
    ca.cbc.sportwire.dochandler.ToNewsMLFilter  -
    [Document: [DocType: <!DOCTYPE message PUBLIC "-//TSN//DTD Leader 1.0/EN" "file:///home/ticker/ticker/fantasysports/tsn/AutoRacingDriverProfile.dtd">], Root is [Element: <message/>]]

This suggests a problem somewhere between the jdom.Document and the
Transformer, as if the JDOMSource is somehow trimming this space.

This code worked fine with the older Xalan and I have upgraded the
following jars to match the Xalan release:


and the associated JDOM jar files ...

    28404 Jan 15 16:35 jaxp.jar
    160967 Jan 15 15:14 jaxen-core.jar
    5949 Jan 15 15:14 jaxen-jdom.jar
    135363 Jan 15 15:14 jdom.jar
    23563 Jan 15 15:14 saxpath.jar

I am using Linux 2.4.21-0.13mdk i686 and java version "1.4.1_03"

    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1_03-b02)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1_03-b02, mixed mode)

I've verified the same results using 1.4.2 both on the Sun and the
Blackdown ports.

What's worse, while we get this "Fatal Error" on every document, it
does not appear to be fatal at all; processing continues on after the
transform, and the transformed doc is correctly generated!

Any and all insights, ideas or probable cause theories are most

Gary Lawrence Murphy <garym at teledyn.com>
www.teledyn.com/mt - www.teledyn.com - sbp.teledyn.com
You don't play what you know; you play what you hear.

More information about the jdom-interest mailing list