[jdom-interest] illegal character in JDOM

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Tue Jan 20 09:31:51 PST 2004

At 4:22 PM +0000 1/13/04, Ronny Yip wrote:

I have a problem regarding the encoding of the JDOM.  Is there a way
to change the encoding to IS0-8859-1 when creating a JDOM document?
As the string data I am getting from the database may contains 0x1a
character.

Is the issue output or input? If it's input then you need to properly
identify the encoding on your data that's used to create the Java
strings and chars you'll build the Document object from. JDOM has
little to do with this.

Note that using the Unicode character 0x1A does not require you to
use ISO 8859-1. That character is available in many different
character sets and encodings.

A JDOM Document object always uses UTF-16 because that's what Java
uses. On output you can choose pretty much any encoding Java
supports. On input you can let Java do the conversion for you using
an InputStreamReader from whatever encoding the data is actually in.

--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo at metalab.unc.edu
   Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)