[jdom-interest] JDOM-based XSL Transformer

Laurent Bihanic laurent.bihanic at atosorigin.com
Thu Jul 8 02:01:23 PDT 2004

Philipp Gröschler wrote:
> Is someone interested in, or just at this moment coding on a XSL Transformer
> project which is based directly on JDOM? Or are there projects out there
> which one could join?

Or you could use Saxon (http://saxon.sourceforge.net) that already supports
JDOM source trees (but converts them into its internal representation).

> Thoughts came to me, that it could give a nice performance boost if a
> transformer would directly work with JDOM technology, instead of converting
> objects into source streams, stuffing that into a standard transformer
> instance, re-converting the output stream back into objects ...

When you say "objects", are you talking about JDOM objects or application
objects which are converted to streams using some XML-Object mapping tool?

> Has someone done any testing about this issue? I realized that in my
> web-project, nearly 80%-90% of execution time (measured from accepting the
> network connection to finally delivering the result) per single request go
> into the part of the XSL transformation. And the stylesheets and XML sources
> I use at the moment are rather simple.

Are you using Templates (i.e. precompiled stylesheets reusable for many
transformations)?
The combination JDOMSource -> Saxon (with Templates) -> JDOMResult usually
leads to very acceptable performances.

Laurent