[jdom-interest] JDOM and XML Signature?

Patrick Simon simon at staatsanzeiger-online-logistik.de
Mon Jun 21 00:49:54 PDT 2004

Hi David,

currently I am indeed working on a project where Digital signature will
definetly be implemented into the workflow
-it's just not decided yet which way.
Considering the fact that we have a *rock solid* working XML-Import
Module based on JDOM
I'd definetely prefer the JDOM-XML-Signature  to all other solutions...
So yes and yes: we have a project related to it, and I would be very
interested in having such a functionality. :-)
(also would like to contribute to such a task but have to admit that my
insight into JDOM is not (yet) so deep
compared to others...)

 From reading about it I can contribute some pros/cons/points of
discussion on adding this functionality:

1.)  Structure
In general electronic signatures as such consist of structured data so
it lays very close to represent them as
XML-Docs (or part of XML docs -not trying to heat up the XML-Fragment
discussion again  -or am I? ;-)

2.) manufacture independence
Compared to other more proprietary solutions (acrobat etc.) for
xml-signed docs XML-signed docs
would be really manufacture-independant and content -independant.

3.) requirements/complexity
A low number of  projects implementing such functionality might come
from the fact that requirements
(dictated by law etc.) are very high and the technique itself is rather
complex to understand and use.
(but to play it marketing-wise: "it's the future! Electronic signature
will be in every household!" ehhr- or so..)

4.) Transparency
On the other hand especially signed XML-Docs would provide the great
opportunity to make the
process of signing data and (managing) signed data  most transparent to
the user  as the result is
not a binary format but always readable/controllable and (i.e. through a
prepared viewer) understandable.
Meaning: it would not be a format where information is hidden somewhere
inside.

5.)  too specific?
Discussion point would be whether this is eventually too specific a
functionality to have in JDOM
but  XML's open and readable predestinates this format more than any
other for this functionality.
So it would be a really great to have in the JDOM lib.
(not neglecting the fact that integrating this into JDOM would not be an
easy job...)

my 0.30c
greetings
Patrick