[jdom-interest] JDOM and XML Signature?

David Wall d.wall at computer.org
Mon Jun 21 15:01:47 PDT 2004

> Both XML Digital Signtatures and XML Encryption are needed.
> Until you asked, I had assumed that JDOM would output a
> file and we would sign and encrypt the file.
>
> Why not save the step and invoke those facilities right
> on the JDOM tree?
>
> How much will it save? Dunno.

The savings for us would be in simplicity of the code.  Sure, it's easy to
build/parse the document into a JDOM tree, but then why convert/copy it into
a DOM and then use another "foreign DOM-based" API to digitally sign or
encrypt, and then perhaps convert it back into a JDOM if you wanted the
resulting document to be JDOM-ready again?

Of course, I'm sure it's no small matter, and supporting everything in those
specs may not be necessary as long as it can create signatures and verify
them -- perhaps restricting itself to a subset of capabilities such as it
only works on "here" XML documents and doesn't get bogged down in handling
external references, etc.

David