[jdom-interest] Re: Factories

New, Cecil (GEAE) cecil.new at ae.ge.com
Mon Mar 1 07:32:10 PST 2004

Phil- you have gone to great lengths to modify JDOM to get a substantial
benefit - in your own words to avoid "the app [running] really slower".

Elliotte thinks your effort and energy have been a waste of time.  He
believes this is sub-optimization.  When faced with such arguments here at
work (and they happen more often than you might believe), I always have the
following counsel:

"Consider the end-to-end process.  If the portion of the process you want to
spend money/time on went to zero, what percentage improvement will I see?"

This perspective makes it clear that what they want to do is not worth
doing.  They grasp, that overall, what they want to do has only a negligible
impact on the end-to-end process.

However- you can change Elliotte's mind... give him the evidence.  Data
speaks louder than words.

:-)