[jdom-interest] Request -- please allow all XML 1.1 conformant text in Element.se tText()

Chris B. chris at tech.com.au
Sat Mar 6 04:35:13 PST 2004

Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

> Thanks for reminding me of another very good reason why
> UncheckedJDOMFactory shouldn't be public even if it makes things
> faster. :-) If people actually use this to accept XML 1.1, then the
> Serializer is going to output documents that are malformed XML 1.0 and
> malformed XML 1.1.

Data validity should be handled by assertions. It's not for you to
decide if the user of JDOM wants to guarantee to pass in valid data and
doesn't want checking overhead. Go read Object Oriented Software
Construction by Bertrand Meyer.

BTW, private members are evil. Everything should be protected. It's not
up to you to decide how somebody may want to extend your object.