[jdom-interest] Question about jdom-contrib IdFactory

Laurent Bihanic laurent.bihanic at atosorigin.com
Wed May 5 08:15:42 PDT 2004

Hi,

I just saw your message. Hoping it's not too late...

"ID" attributes are related to DTDs. To use the IdFactory class, your
documents need to be associated to a DTD that defines some attributes as of
type ID (ID attributes require each value to be unique throughout the document).

Once this is done, the XML parser notifies JDOM of the attribute type in the
DTD. If it is of type "ID", the IdFactory adds its value to a specific
document-wide table to enable direct element access using Document.getElementById.

If you are building your documents programmatically, you don't need a DTD, you
can use the IdDocument and IdElement objects directly and create Attributes
using a constructor that supports an attribute type as argument (setting the
type to Attribute.ID_TYPE).

Hope this helps,

Laurent