[jdom-interest] XPathFactory object model string

Jason Hunter jhunter at xquery.com
Tue Nov 2 21:08:58 PST 2004

It's come to my attention that JAXP 1.3 (and J2SE 5.0 which bundles JAXP
1.3) have a new XPathFactory class to provide standard hooks to XPath
engines.

One of the XPathFactory's methods is isObjectModelSupported(String) that
you use to ask the engine if it supports a particular object model like
DOM or JDOM.  The DOM standard string is
"http://java.sun.com/jaxp/xpath/dom".  For JDOM I've chosen
"http://jdom.org/jaxp/xpath/jdom".

I'm writing this email and will add a note to the website and Javadocs
so that XPath implementors supporting JDOM and JAXP 1.3 will know what
string to use to indicate JDOM support.

For more info on JAXP 1.3:
http://norman.walsh.name/2004/10/26/jaxp13

New addition to the JDOM to do list: look into supporting JAXP 1.3 from
JDOM, esp utilizing its XPath support and possibly validation.