[jdom-interest] XML escaping and unescaping

d.wall at computer.org d.wall at computer.org
Fri Nov 19 16:10:18 PST 2004

Thanks.  I'll take a look at your escapers and compare.  It's a bit
amazing that such functionality isn't just part of the standard class
libraries by now.

As for coming back in, an XML parser won't decode a string for you, will
it?  I mean, if my XML looks like:

 <field>This &quot;is&quot; a test.</field>

I would expect that getting the data->field text value would return:
      This &quot;is&quot; a test.

Are you saying some XML parsers will return instead:
      This "is" a test.

My impression is that such an encoded element would return the String
still encoded.