[jdom-interest] Namespace inheritance after cloning

Alistair Young alistair at smo.uhi.ac.uk
Sun Nov 28 04:26:17 PST 2004

Thanks Tatu and Jason,
I see what you're saying about elements in different documents having no
connection. I've been thinking too much in OOP!
Although I'm adding <next> to <root>, as far as JDOM is concerned, it
could be in any namespace, so if it doesn't have one, it bungs it in the
empty one.
I thought there wasn't a "default" namespace in XML. xmlns="" (no
namespace) is different from "default" namespace.
I expected JDOM to allow <next> to inherit it's new parent's namespace if
it didn't explicity define one. Wrong mental model for me :)
I don't suppose it's really an issue for most but I was also thinking of
bandwidth. If I have to explicitly define namespaces for each element,
that comes from a different Document, then the finished Document will have
tons of namespace "noise" in it. I'll think about that though.
As for matching namespace in <next> being replaced by xmlns="", I'll send
some code.
thanks for your help,
Alistair

--