[jdom-interest] Question regarding encoding

Jason Hunter jhunter at xquery.com
Thu Oct 7 11:57:41 PDT 2004

As it says in the XMLOutputter Javadoc:

<b>Warning</b>: When outputting to a Writer, make sure
the writer's encoding matches the encoding setting in the Format object.

You're not being specific about what encoding your FileWriter is using
so the Writer takes your system default which no doubt isn't ISO-8859-1.
  Basically you declare you're doing one thing then pass a writer that's
doing something else.  Output using a stream and it'll be Ok because
then JDOM can make sure the bytes get written correctly.

-jh-