[jdom-interest] does jdom perform well ?

Jason Winnebeck gillius at gillius.org
Tue Feb 1 07:51:10 PST 2005

One note, we actually use aelfred2 (the GNU JAXP version) instead of the
original Microstar aelfred.

While looking for aelfred2 I also came across piccolo, which I have not used
but according to the benchmark, it is the fastest in a server environment.
What I found very interesting is that according to the piccolo benchmarks,
Xerces is faster than aelfred in most cases.  Of course his environment is
different -- aelfred definitely takes less disk space and less memory, and I
believe another difference is in class loading time, which he does not
mention (he runs the tests for 5 sec to make the JIT compile it first).  Our
environment is an embedded one and we are only parsing 2 XML files on
startup so disk size and class loading time is an issue not measured on the

What Tatu says is very relevant though, using JDOM versus SAX directly is
much slower (3 to 6x is a number I would also agree with).  We use JDOM on
the embedded system because DOM is a million times better to work with than
SAX for our documents and is only done on startup.  Were I to parse XML at
run-time or continuously I would use SAX parsing.

I was unable to find the exact version of aelfred we were using -- it looks
like new versions have come out and it's merged with GNU classpath.  This is
the best I could find: