[jdom-interest] does jdom perform well ?

Jason Winnebeck gillius at gillius.org
Tue Feb 1 07:51:10 PST 2005

One note, we actually use aelfred2 (the GNU JAXP version) instead of the
original Microstar aelfred.

While looking for aelfred2 I also came across piccolo, which I have not used
but according to the benchmark, it is the fastest in a server environment.
What I found very interesting is that according to the piccolo benchmarks,
Xerces is faster than aelfred in most cases.  Of course his environment is
different -- aelfred definitely takes less disk space and less memory, and I
believe another difference is in class loading time, which he does not
mention (he runs the tests for 5 sec to make the JIT compile it first).  Our
environment is an embedded one and we are only parsing 2 XML files on
startup so disk size and class loading time is an issue not measured on the
benchmark.

http://piccolo.sourceforge.net/bench.html

What Tatu says is very relevant though, using JDOM versus SAX directly is
much slower (3 to 6x is a number I would also agree with).  We use JDOM on
the embedded system because DOM is a million times better to work with than
SAX for our documents and is only done on startup.  Were I to parse XML at
run-time or continuously I would use SAX parsing.

I was unable to find the exact version of aelfred we were using -- it looks
like new versions have come out and it's merged with GNU classpath.  This is
the best I could find:
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpathx/jaxp/

Jason