[jdom-interest] jdom.jar and Websphere 6.0

Sullivan, Sean C - MWT sullivan.sean at menloworldwide.com
Fri May 27 14:16:40 PDT 2005

I am using JDOM in a J2EE web application.   My server environment is
Websphere 6.0.1

Here's what I have in my EAR file:

        foobar.ear/foobar.war/WEB-INF/lib/jdom.jar

When I tried using the application, I observed a nasty error:

     java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.jdom.Document.hasRootElement()Z

 I discovered that this error was caused by a classloader / library
conflict.

IBM Websphere 6.0.1 provides a copy of the JDOM library.  IBM
distributes version "1.0b7" version of jdom.jar

You'll find JDOM here:

	$WEBSPHERE_HOME/lib/jdom.jar

By default, Websphere 6.0.1will load JDOM classes from IBM's private
jdom.jar

You can override this behavior by configuring Websphere to use
PARENT_LAST classloading.

-Sean