[jdom-interest] How many bytes is my JDOM Document

Michael Kay mike at saxonica.com
Fri Aug 4 07:15:26 PDT 2006

Saying "should" and "must" doesn't make it true. I don't know why Java
doesn't provide this capability, but it doesn't.

In any case, you (the OP) don't want the number of bytes in the document
object, you want the number of bytes in all the objects in the tree.
Perhaps. Other people thought you wanted the number of bytes in its
serialization. I don't think we actually know what the requirement is,
perhaps someone will tell us.

Micahel Kay

There should be a way to count the bytes in a Java object without trying to
output it, I mean, the object is in memory as bytes, so there must be a way
to count them.
Outputting the file somewhere may enable to know the EXACT size of the
outputted file, but the object's size in memory should be accessible another
way.

Kevin.