[jdom-interest] Empty xmlns in reconstructed XML

Tatu Saloranta cowtowncoder at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 17 13:05:01 PDT 2006

--- "David M. Lang" <david at proxsys.co.uk> wrote:

> way - I just must be missing something. BTW, this is
> an XCAP server
> application (Rosenberg), which doesn't mandate that
> incoming XML has the
> default namespace attached.
> each element which
> requires a call to setNamepsace()

Hmmh? When namespaces are used, element/attribute
names are pairs of local name and namespace URI:
prefix used (if any) should be irrelevant. So are you
saying that the incoming document might have elements
without a namespace, and that you want to force them
to be in a namespace; or are you just trying to add an
explicit namespace binding to avoid having element
names prefixed?

I ask this because there is often much confusion on
this mailing list, regarding how xml namespaces work;
especially regarding exact role of prefixes, as well
as what exactly is the "default namespace" (== which
namespace is bound to non-prefixed elements in a
scope).
For anyone who hasn't yet read XML namespaces specs,
it's actually good and quite short reading (at
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/).

-+ Tatu +-