[jdom-interest] UnsupportedClassVersionError when running with JRE 1.4.2

Carsten Schlipf carsten.schlipf at hp.com
Fri Dec 8 05:47:19 PST 2006

Hi all,

I intend to use JDOM within a proprietary ESB, which unfortunately is
bound to using JRE 1.4.2. Using the jdom.jar from the 1.0 package
downloaded from jdom.org (Septemeber 9th) I get this exception:

java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/jdom/JDOMException
(Unsupported major.minor version 49.0)
	at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
	at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)

Based on my findings in Google this seems to claim that the
JDOMException class was compiled with Java 1.5.x. But I didn't recompile
JDOM and I really use the downloaded, unmodified JAR.

In a former post to this list I even read that JDOM was compiled to be
compatible with Java 1.2.

Any ideas, what the problem could be here?

Best regards,
Carsten