[jdom-interest] JDOM Extension for Java Object (de)serialization

Matthias Basler Matthias.Basler at uni-jena.de
Sun Jan 29 15:48:02 PST 2006

Zitat von Dennis Sosnoski <dms at sosnoski.com>:

> The approach that you're discussing has been developed in several
> different ways, including my own JiBX framework mentioned by Brad
> (thanks, Brad!). There are several frameworks working in this area. I'd
> suggest you Google "java xml data binding" for a full list and explore
> the alternatives. Data binding frameworks vary widely in performance and
> memory usage (https://bindmark.dev.java.net/), but in general should
> take less memory than document models such as JDOM.

In the meantime I have reviewed two of the APIs: JiBX requires XML shemas to
work That's not what I need. Javolution was a very close catch. But I had to
find out that that it is really tied to object (de)serialization and produces
XML files in very specific formats. In other words I cannot parse and create
ANY XML files with it. This led me to the conclusion that I was actually not
looking for a (de)serialization API, but rather for a binding API. Good to know
;-)

Most other APIs - although very capable and mature - seemed to be unsuitable for
my particular use cases as well, so I continued work on my own JDOM binding
extension about which I wrote in my first mail in this thread.

I have now brought this work to a point where I thinks it is "releasable" - not
to the public, but for review through interested list members. Any comments
that could help to improve the code are welcome.

Please note:
- I have named it "JDOMB" (JDOM Binding API) as preliminary name - if someone
has a better idea, feel free to suggest it. If someone has objections, let me
know as well.
- The API uses generics, so Java5 is required to compile it.
- The attached jar holds (hopefully) a complete Eclipse project, with source
code, documentation and sample files (no binaries).
- Be sure to read the detailed documentation in
"src/org/test/jdomb/package.html". The code is documented as well.
- Priorities for this API were
  1) Ease of use ... from my subjective perspective of course ...
  2) Works without XML schema/RelaxNG/...
  3) Small memory footprint and
  4) As few classes as possible.
  Not sure If it lives up to this ... you can judge yourself.

And now have fun. I hope for feedback.

P.S. There's no need to send your answers directly to my personal email address.
I'd prefer it if you send feedback to the list only, except for off-list topics.
I recieve the list in digest mode. Thank you for your understanding.

Matthias Basler
c9bama at uni-jena.de

This mail was sent through http://webmail.uni-jena.de