[jdom-interest] About Jdom licence

Tatu Saloranta cowtowncoder at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 3 18:43:53 PST 2007

--- Michael Kay <mike at saxonica.com> wrote:

> > After this week, yet another guy of the FSF
> > indicated another incompatibility.
>
> The FSF is giving open source software a bad name
> and it's high time the
> rest of the open source community ganged up against
> them and told them to
> get lost.

Giving Open Source movement a bad name may actually
not be totally unfortunate outcome for FSF, since they
consider Free software to be the goal, and Open source
to be like detractors of sort (think of Stalin vs.
Trotsky... or something). As in "Open source" being
less powerful, diluted version of real freedom.
Or so I have understood, anyway.
That's just a long way to say that I don't think FSF
considers themselves part of the Open Source movement.

It's weird of course that sometimes most violent
disagreements are between groups that from outside
would seem like naturally close allies.

-+ Tatu +-