[jdom-interest] JDOM 1.1 released!

Victor Toni victor.toni at ebuconnect.de
Wed Nov 21 05:37:05 PST 2007

Michael Kay wrote:
>> Can anyone cite what other projects have done in this
>> situation?
> Saxon 9.0 has introduced a new API, s9api, that exploits generics. Existing
> users can continue to use older APIs. I'm hoping I can drop JDK 1.4 support
> within a year or so - I suspect that people who need to stick with old Java
> releases have no great urgency to move to new Saxon releases.
> For JDOM, version 1.0 (and hopefully 1.1) are very stable, and I think you
> could safely adopt the position "if you want to use an old JDK, then you can
> use an old JDOM as well".
> Michael Kay
> http://www.saxonica.com/

I suspect that enhancing JDOM with Generics is not as trivial as one
would think especially when one wants to go the whole way. One of the
reasons is erasure:
An example:

In AttributeList there are these two methods:
    void add(int,Attribute);
    public void add(int,Object);

Enhancing AttributeList with Generics would result in something like:
AttributeList<A extends Attribute> {
    void add(int,Attribute);
    public void add(int,A);

which is not allowed. Reducing the code to
AttributeList<A extends Attribute> {
    public void add(int,A);
is possible but will break some code. I worry that a "JDOM 1.5" can't be
drop in replacement...

Victor Toni