[jdom-interest] JDom and Java5

Mattias Jiderhamn mj-lists at expertsystems.se
Wed Feb 27 00:23:46 PST 2008

Rolf wrote (2008-02-27 02:55):
> On the other hand, I think it would also be a *very good* solution to
> leave the method with a return type of List<?> because, as far as I
> can tell, it is fully compile-time backward-compatible with existing
> code,  ... I am sure would be far more receptive to migrate to 'JDom2'
> if the migration was 'seamless'.
Does this mean you managed to compile
  List<Elements> l = XPath.selectNodes(...)
if XPath.selectNodes() returns List<?>; the case where I had to add an
explicit cast in comparison with the old raw "List" version to avoid
"incompatible types" error?
How?

> Based on previous postings of Jason's, I get the impression that Jason
> is somewhat reluctant to maintain two JDom code bases (the current
> build compatible back to Java1.2) and the 'new' build. Whatever
> happens we will need to convince Jason to do something with it... but,
> I imagine that the more interest people show the more likely we will
> get his attention on this.
As has been said before; JDOM 1.1 is stable enough to be left as it is.
I vote for moving forward with Java5/Generics and add new features (like
XPath 2.0) only to that branch.

> Has anyone got any feedback on the utility of the rest of the API?
After you fixed the initial issues it seems to work fine in my dev
environment, although I have not had time to look at it "under the
hood", and I probably won't find that time for quite a while.

 /Mattias