[jdom-interest] JDom and Java5

Mattias Jiderhamn mj-lists at expertsystems.se
Wed Feb 27 08:55:33 PST 2008

Rolf wrote (2008-02-27 17:19):
> Mattias Jiderhamn wrote:
>> Rolf wrote (2008-02-27 15:54):
>>>>
>>> No, but this is what I can do...

>>> Now, the code following the above snippet is:
>>>
>>>        out.println("This WAR has "+ servlets.size() +" registered
>>> servlets:");
>>>        Iterator i = servlets.iterator();
>>>        while (i.hasNext()) {
>>>            Element servlet = (Element) i.next();
>>>            out.print("\t" + servlet.getChild("servlet-name")
>>>                                    .getTextTrim() +
>>>                      " for " + servlet.getChild("servlet-class")
>>>                                       .getTextTrim());
>>>            List initParams = servlet.getChildren("init-param");
>>>            out.println(" (it has " + initParams.size() + " init
>>> params)");
>>>        }
>>>
>>> The above construct is very typical of 'legacy' JDom and XPath usage.
>>>
>>> So, by returning List<?>, there are only compile-time warnings in
>>> existing legacy code, and the only difference between JDom1.1 and
>>> JDom2 is the details on the compiler warnings.
>>
>> Yes, but some of us have existing projects using Java5 and JDOM. In
>> some of those cases your port will - as far as I can understand - NOT
>> be "fully compile-time backward-compatible".
>> I just want everybody to be fully aware of that.
>>
>> /Mattias
>>

> Hmmm. that is a new angle on it, but, for the life of me, I can't
> think of any situation where it breaks things.... How could changing
> the return type from 'List' to 'List<?>' break any code? Returning
> List<Element> would surely break things though......

See the (real life) example I have provided
   List<Elements> l = XPath.selectNodes(...)
gives a compiler warning with the current JDOM release, but does not
compile against your code.

If we want a drop in replacement, I believe we will have to stick with
raw "List" for selectNodes().

(It may also be worth noting that the main, or at least first, users of
JDOM with Java5 are probably those already on Java5 projects using JDOM).

 /Mattias