[jdom-interest] Java 5 planning

Tatu Saloranta cowtowncoder at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 12 09:41:55 PDT 2008

--- Mattias Jiderhamn <mj-lists at expertsystems.se>
wrote:

> more than 3 years now. If a user notices the lack of
> generics support
> they may think "Hey, this piece of software probably
> haven't been
> maintained in years, so I better look for something
> newer that's still
> being maintained". (And I believe most people will
> not bother checking
> the mailing list)

Color me snobby elitist, but I'm not sure I would mind
losing such potential users...
Realistically though I think it's all about momentum
and inertia: big user bases tend to persist (witness
popularity of, say, Axis 1 and Struts 1). Most popular
translates to "best 'cause everyone's using it" in
human mind.

It's ok to want genericsification "just because", I
just don't think there are particularly strong or
compelling reasons either way.

-+ Tatu +-