[jdom-interest] XPath and Jaxen

Thomas Scheffler thomas.scheffler at uni-jena.de
Sun Sep 11 22:52:43 PDT 2011

Am 12.09.2011 02:43, schrieb Rolf:
> Well, that's embarrassing. a major road-block for writing jUnit test
> coverage has come up, and I guess I should have anticipated it...
>
> So, I have essentially done jUnit coverage of all the 'core' JDOM
> functionality (org.jdom2.* org.jdom2.input.* org.jdom2.output.*),
> leaving essentially just the transform and xpath code to go.
>
> SO I started the XPath code, and I can't even create an XPath instance,
> because the Jaxen library has internal references to org.jdom.* classes,
> not org.jdom2.*
>
> This is an interesting chicken/egg process, how does Jaxen build without
> JDOM, and yet, how does JDOM build without Jaxen...?
>
> Still, the basic problem is that I need to create a new jdom2-based
> 'plugin' for Jaxen, but that plugin is a part of Jaxen, not JDOM.
>
> For the moment I am going to re-implement the plugin on the JDOM side,
> but the implications are significant, and need discussions.
>
> What is the right way to do this migration...?

Hi,

as I understand the Jaxen code correctly you have to implement the
Navigator interface to add support to any library.

I would conclude that you have to move the JDOM-Jaxen-Code completely to
JDOM. This way there is no circle dependency anymore and no need to fork
any version of Jaxen here. As JDOM2 is an different library than JDOM
and you are free to do this. JDOM2 would than depend on Jaxen and that's it.

regards,

Thomas