[jdom-interest] JDOM2 Update - maven

Rolf jdom at tuis.net
Wed Sep 14 07:46:17 PDT 2011

Hi and thanks, Brad

I have just inspected your drop-box repositories (edit, now it's hours
later...).

I can't 'pull' the changes directly. Those changes have been made
against the three git repositories I put together in 2008 as a 'proof of
concept'. Those repositories are 'defunct'. There were a number of bugs
found in jdom since I put those together, and the plan for JDOM2
stipulated that the jUNit tests get done before the generics... I see
you did those changes in late July, it is amazing how fast things seem
to change...

The setup we now have for JDOM (all versions) is now in github, and the
three 'components' (core, test, contrib) are all in the same git
repository: https://github.com/hunterhacker/jdom

Now that i have spent some time (well, only a few hours) looking at what
you have done, and getting more familiar with the maven 'big picture' I
have even more concerns than when I started....

The most immediate goal in applying maven is to get the 1.1.2 final
build artifacts published on maven-central, and that source branch needs
to be as stable as possible. Moving files (and especially
renaming/moving directories) would be very, very disruptive to keeping a
clean version history. We can be more liberal with those sorts of
changes in the JDOM2 branch if we need to.

So, for 1.1.2 the goal is to do the minimal changes possible and yet
still have a maven artifact at the end.

Hmm, it has taken some time to go through this reply, and in the process
I have been reading up a little on maven, etc. I have 'formalized' what
I think JDOM needs for the maven side of things here:
https://github.com/hunterhacker/jdom/wiki/JDOM1.1.2-and-Maven

In putting that together I have been hunting around, and there's already
two 'groupid' locations for jdom on maven-central. See the wiki page for
the links.

I have put together a 'feedback' to maven-central hunting down who put
those there, and whether it is a problem for putting out 1.1.2....

The more I look in to this the more it looks like it's going to be more
of a 'procedural' and 'management' problem than a technical one.

I have included Jason on this mail, and have taken the liberty of
putting this discussion back on to the jdom-interest list.

Read through that wiki-page, tell me if I got anything wrong... perhaps
you can help with getting contact details for the 'publisher' of the
org.jdom GroupID.... I can't seem to find anything in any of the
maven-central files to help though, perhaps i missed something.

Thanks

Rolf