[jdom-interest] malformed URL exception exception in saxbuilder.build due to unreachable URL

Rolf Lear jdom at tuis.net
Fri Feb 10 05:22:30 PST 2012

Hi Cliff.

That would be a mystery, but my suspicion is that it has not worked at
all... if it *did* work then there are other problems ... ;-)

I suspect that everything has been failing - maybe the first record from
the database had an xmlns, and it has been a red-herring for you.

I did run some test code through, and it causes similar errors regardless
of the actual XML content.

I wonder if it would help if we put a validation process in the
SAXBuilder.build(String) method that inspected the string, and if the first
non-white character is '<' it throws an exception.... that should catch all
instances where XML content is supplied to the method, since '<' is never
valid in a URI..... and it is always the first character in any valid XML

getting an exception:  MalformedURLException: "SAXBuilder.build(String)
expects a String URI not XML Content" would be a whole lot easier to manage
than the exception you have....


On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 07:35:43 -0500, cliff palmer <palmercliff at gmail.com>
> Rolf, that worked - it's mysterious that the version in my code
> (passing the string) worked until there was a URL, but I can live with
> mysteries in light of working code :).
> Thanks!
> Cliff
> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 6:44 PM, Rolf Lear <jdom at tuis.net> wrote:
>> Hi Cliff.
>> I think the problem is that the content of the column 'xml_contents' of
>> the
>> table 'xml_table' is actual XML data.... not a file name/URI.
>> I think what you want to do is:
>>    String xmlcontent = rs.getString(2);
>>    StringReader reader = new StringReader(xmlcontent);
>>    xmlDoc = saxBuilder.build(reader);
>> See http://jdom.org/docs/faq.html#a0210
>> Rolf

More information about the jdom-interest mailing list