[jdom-interest] JDOM and memory

Michael Kay mike at saxonica.com
Sat Jan 28 10:37:43 PST 2012

> Finally, I have in the past had some success with the concept of
> 'reusing' String values. XML Parsers (like SAX, etc.) typically create
> a new String instance for all the variables they pass. For example,
> the Element names, prefixes, etc. are all new instances of String.
> Thus, if you have hundreds of Elements called 'car' in your input XML,
> you will get hundreds of different String Element names with the value
> 'car'. I have built a class that does something similar to
> String.intern() in order to rationalize the hundreds of
> different-but-equals() values that are passed in by the parsers.
Have you measured how your optimization compares with the effect of
setting the http://xml.org/sax/features/string-interning property on the
SAX parser?

Are you doing the interning in a way that guarantees strings can be
compared using "==", and if so, are you taking advantage of this when
doing the comparisons? .The big win comes with XPath searches such as
//x. Does the interning introduce any synchronization? (This is the big
disadvantage with Saxon's NamePool - it speeds up XPath searching
substantially, but the contention in a highly concurrent workload can
become quite significant.)

Are you pooling the QName as a whole, or the local name, prefix and URI
separately?

Michael Kay
Saxonica