[jdom-interest] Wish-list

Rolf Lear jdom at tuis.net
Wed May 9 06:46:21 PDT 2012

Hi all.

So 2.0.1 has settled in nicely, with no apparent issues. I have also
taken some 'JDOM down-time' to just get some of my life in order.... and
to avoid some burn-out. I'm now at a cross-roads of sorts....

My personal goal when I got involved with JDOM 2.x was to 'make JDOM
current again', and I believe it is now (again) the 'best in class'
in-memory XML model for Java.

So, what is the 'cross-roads'? JDOM 2.x is now just an up to date 1.x
version, with a more consistent code base, and which implements the
modern Java concepts. But, should JDOM now settle in to a
maintenance-only mode again until the next major development cycle in
another 5 years? Or should JDOM again 'pioneer' in some new directions
that make XML processing easier.

I know I have my eyes on the 'Resolver' aspect of XML parsing, and I am
going to start playing with that some more, but maybe there are other
interesting things JDOM could be doing.

So, this is a call for any 'wish-list' items that you want to have
available in JDOM.

Is there anything else JDOM can do for you?

I think it would be reasonable to consider a JDOM 2.1 'branch' which
extends existing JDOM functionality in the next 6 months or so, if there
is a feature that would be nice to have, and people with an interest in
building it....

Rolf