[jdom-interest] W3 DOM support

Alex Chaffee guru at edamame.stinky.com
Fri Aug 4 07:30:21 PDT 2000

On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 05:03:42PM -0400, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
> At 09:23 AM 8/2/00 -0400, Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus wrote:
> >As I've said before, I don't see why JDOM can't support a subset of the DOM
> >APIs.
> >

> I thought the DOM and JDOM were both APIs, ways to look in on data.  It
> doesn't seem nearly that difficult to provide (or connect to) two APIs
> looking in on the same information.
>
> I know it's more work, and maybe there are efficiency tradeoffs - I
> wouldn't be surprised - but I don't think it has to be an either/or situation.

I think you can safely say that this is exactly what DOMOutputter is
doing.  Oh, no, wait, it's making a copy?  I'm confused.  I just got
back from Asia and I need coffee.  Who are all you people?  What are
you doing in my living room?

Oh, wait, no:

The point is, making either a copy of the JDOM tree contents into a
new DOM tree, or a set of DOM wrapper objects that point back to the
JDOM equivalents, or a set of hybrid extends-JDOM-but-implements-DOM
objects, are all possible and straightforward, though there may be
performance issues.  Which is exactly Simon's point.

 - A

Alex Chaffee                       mailto:alex at jguru.com