[jdom-interest] W3 DOM support

Simon St.Laurent simonstl at simonstl.com
Thu Aug 3 14:03:42 PDT 2000

At 09:23 AM 8/2/00 -0400, Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus wrote:
>As I've said before, I don't see why JDOM can't support a subset of the DOM
>APIs.
>
>Changing Xalan to use JDOM would mean that mean that:
>
>1) I would have to abandon the multiple experiments we've had with various
>DOM implementation strategies.
>2) We would have to flip the finger to all the people using DOMs (Xerces
>DOM and others) with Xalan.
>3) We would have to abondon the vision based on data access from a driver,
>that implements DOM interfaces to relational data and the like.
>
>I would love to support directly support JDOM.  But it's hard to see how
>this is practical right now.  I'm open to ideas.

I thought the DOM and JDOM were both APIs, ways to look in on data.  It
doesn't seem nearly that difficult to provide (or connect to) two APIs
looking in on the same information.

I know it's more work, and maybe there are efficiency tradeoffs - I
wouldn't be surprised - but I don't think it has to be an either/or situation.

Simon St.Laurent