[jdom-interest] licensing

Nicholas Chase nchase at sitedynamics.com
Tue Aug 8 00:50:41 PDT 2000

Jason Hunter wrote:
> There are no logos yet, but we'll figure out a way to make some.  :-)
> Other than that, what do you think?  The "If appropriate" is
> intentionally a gaping loophole since we don't want to require this
> where people aren't happy to comply.  It may be too gaping to be legal,
> in which case I'm curious if that causes problems for the enforceability
> of the rest of the license.  Who's a lawyer, or at least plays one on
> TV?

I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV, but I have been going through
an awful lot of contracts lately.  It seems that most of them handle it
with a "severability clause", which basically says that if any part of
the contract is found to be unenforceable, the rest of it is still in effect.

I've got one here that phrases it as:

10.8 Severability.  If any provision of this Agreement is determined to
be invalid under any applicable statute or rule of law, it is to that
extent to be deemed omitted, and the balance of the Agreement shall remain

I hope that helps...

----  Nick