[jdom-interest] Element.setName

Doug Lindholm lind at ucar.edu
Thu Aug 10 14:55:26 PDT 2000

Hi,

What's the status of the "missing" Element.setName? The latest I could
find in the archives (Mon, 26 Jun 2000) is below.

I'm contructing a Document in such a way that I don't know the name of
the Elements as they are being constructed. setName sure would be handy.

Thanks,
Doug

> Gabor Greif wrote:
> >
> > Now I encountered a situation where call in Element.setName
> > would be the best soulution.
> >
> > My alternative would be to add a new Element into the parent's contents at
> > the appropriate index and remove the old named Element from it.
> >
> > This seem to be a rather heavy-weight solution to a simple problem and I
> > wonder if ther is a more elegant way to do this?
> >
> > Should a Element.setName method be added?
> > Why was Element.setName not considered in first place?
>
> Actually it was discussed, and was in the API, and was taken out... It
> was a long and painful process ;-)
>
> Rather than try, I'm going to defer to Elliotte, who raised the most
> noise, and let him comment. Elliotte? Could you please summarize why you
> were against a setName on Element?
>
> Thanks,
> Brett

| Doug Lindholm, Software Engineer          |  E-mail: lind at ucar.edu   |
| Research Applications Program             |   Phone: 303-497-8374    |
| National Center for Atmospheric Research  |                          |
| P.O. Box 3000                             |     There's no place     |
| Boulder, Colorado 80307-3000              |        like $HOME        |