[jdom-interest] Extending JDOM classes

Jason Hunter jhunter at acm.org
Sun Aug 13 16:58:12 PDT 2000

The standard approach to this is to have your builder build
Element/Attribute subclasses with the features you want.  There have
been discussions about enhancing SAXBuilder to support this built-in.  I
suggest you participate in those discussions (archives online) and in
the meanwhile just copy SAXBuilder and have it create objects of the
type you want.

Downsides:  Since you're adding new methods you'll have to do some
casting.  Also, when you create new elements outside the builder you'll
have to know what kind you want to create.