[jdom-interest] Element and Document serialized forms

Alex Chaffee guru at edamame.stinky.com
Thu Jul 13 03:58:33 PDT 2000

I didn't see this message before I wrote the last one; please forgive
any patronizing overtones in the last one suggesting you don't
understand OOP :-).

So you seem to think that they should probably be the same class.
Since XMLSerializer is destined for planned obsolescence, why are you
bothering to write it?

Perhaps it's because of "encoding hassles."  Well, as far as that goes,

(a) any hassles in one will exist in the other, unless you rewrite the
entire functionality to use StringBuffers, which seems kind of silly,

and

(b) the solution to the encoding hassles is for XMLOutputter to have a
property specifying the encoding, like Jason suggested.  Doesn't that
take care of it?  I don't recall your objections except to wring your
hands (said hand-wringing shared by myself and Jason) about flaws in
java.io and in XML, over which we have no control.

For performance reasons, you'll want the standard output methods to
take a stream/writer, and the string output methods to wrap those with
a StringWriter or something.

Thus they are one.

 - Alex

On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 12:19:14PM -0700, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
> I've implemented the getSerializedForm() methods in Element and
> Document. The code is at
[...]

Alex Chaffee                       mailto:alex at jguru.com