[jdom-interest] PrintWriter in XMLOutputter

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Mon Jun 19 18:49:09 PDT 2000

At 4:07 PM -0700 6/19/00, Jason Hunter wrote:

>> I'm OK with this - particuarly from our lauded "Network Programming" and
>> "I/O" guy ;-) XMLOutputter was around class #5 or so that we wrote, so
>> it's plausible, if not probable, that it isn't bulletproof - Jason, you
>> wrote most of that code, do you concur with Elliotte? If so, Elliotte,
>> you want to take that one?

I'll see if I can get CVS straightened out on my box so I can taker a
stab at it.

>I don't see any reason not to use OutputStreamWriter.  I just used
>PrintWriter cuz, hey, I'm a servlet guy.  :-)
>
>Elliotte, if you want to take care of this, that'd be great.  Either a
>patch or a new copy of the file is fine.  Otherwise I'll do it next
>chance I get.  Meanwhile, while we have the "I/O" guy listening, why the
>hell does PrintWriter *not* throw IOException?

Mostly so System.out doesn't have to be very complicated, and can be
used for simple Hello World examples without worrying about teaching
exceptions first. Of course this means it isn't really suitable for
anything except CS101 homework problems...

|                  The XML Bible (IDG Books, 1999)                   |
|              http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/books/bible/               |
|   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0764532367/cafeaulaitA/   |