[jdom-interest] speed of DOM vs JDOM

Jason Hunter jhunter at collab.net
Tue Jun 27 10:05:45 PDT 2000

> JDOM is clearly less memory intensive than DOM, but are there any
> preliminary numbers or thoughts on the speed of it's document access in
> comparison to DOM?

I know of no numbers for how fast JDOM does random access to the
document vs DOM.  I suggest you run your own tests for your
application.  That's all that matters anyway.

Just be aware that someone needs to step in and write DOMOutputter
still.  Since it sounds like you may have a need for that class and have
a knowledge of DOM, perhaps it could be you.  Brett estimated 3 hours to
write it.

Of course, one reason it's not written is that people find ways to avoid
DOM.  If you could avoid ever taking your document back to DOM you'll
get a definite performance/memory improvement.