[jdom-interest] NoSuchMethodError (and I've seen the related FAQ entry)

Nick Fankhauser nickf at ontko.com
Wed Feb 21 08:27:39 PST 2001

Hi-

I'm getting the following error at run time:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.jdom.Element:
method setText(Ljava/lang/String;)Lorg/jdom/Element; not found

I noted the FAQ entry referring the position of xerces.jar in the classpath,
and think I have dealt with that... Here is the compile command I'm using:

javac -deprecation -d . -classpath
.:/usr/share/java/postgresql.jar:/home/nickf/XML/jdom-b6/lib/xerces.jar:/hom
e/nickf/XML/jdom-b6/build/jdom.jar  Exporter.java

I also noted a suggestion in the archives about system extensions in the
jre -The only thing in my .../jre/ext directory is indicim.jar (I don't know
what indicim.jar does, but it appears to be unrelated to my current
problem.)

I'm using IBMJava2-13 & the general purpose of the program is to export the
contents of a PostgreSQL database to an XML file.

I am fairly new to Java, so I may be missing something basic here... (please
be gentle with me if it's a bonehead-programmer error!)

Any thoughts from the community?

Thanks-

-Nick

Nick Fankhauser