[jdom-interest] NoSuchMethodError while running samples

Nick Fankhauser nickf at ontko.com
Tue Feb 27 08:02:05 PST 2001

Hi-

Last week I posted a similar problem, but haven't gotten any responses. I'm
kinda dead in the water here. I hope someone can help.

In the earlier case, I was trying to run my own first "hello world" program
& got a NoSuchMethodError on Element.setText.

I looked in the FAQ & the archives for this list & found the documented
problem with earlier versions of XML libraries. I ensured that not only was
the xerces.jar file supplied with jdom-b6 the first XML library in the
classpath, but also that it was the *only* one... my compile command looked
like this:

javac -classpath
.:/home/nickf/XML/jdom-b6/build/jdom.jar:/home/nickf/XML/jdom-b6/lib/xerces.
jar:/usr/share/java/postgresql.jar:  Exporter.java

I made sure there wasn't anything referencing XML in the system extensions
for my JRE, & since I'm supplying an explicit classpath, I shouldn't be
picking up anything from a system classpath.

So... I thought I'd try using the supplied Ant build.sh to compile the
samples, just in case I'm doing something really boneheaded in my own
compile. When I try to run one of the samples, I get this message:

org.jdom.output.XMLOutputter: method parseArgs([Ljava/lang/String;I)I not
found

This looks to me like the same issue, so I'm pretty sure something in my
environment is causing the problem, but haven't a clue what it could be.

The only thing I can think of that isn't exactly as the developers might
have anticipated is that I'm using the IBM Java 2 1.3 JRE.

Are there any known issues with this? (Or anyone else using the same
environment successfully?)

Thanks!

-Nick

Nick Fankhauser