[jdom-interest] Problem with DOMOutputter

Lesniak, Alex Alex.Lesniak at mdx.com
Wed Feb 28 13:13:00 PST 2001

Hello,

I'm trying to use the DOMOutputter and keep getting the following error:

org.jdom.JDOMException: Exception outputting Document: DOM006 Hierarchy
request error
	at org.jdom.output.DOMOutputter.output(DOMOutputter.java:168)
	at
com.thomson.cms.comsub.proxy.message.MessageTest.doTest(MessageTest.java:45)

	at
com.thomson.cms.comsub.proxy.message.MessageTest.main(MessageTest.java:69)
Root cause: org.w3c.dom.DOMException: DOM006 Hierarchy request error
	at
org.apache.xerces.dom.DocumentImpl.insertBefore(DocumentImpl.java:381)
	at org.apache.xerces.dom.NodeImpl.appendChild(NodeImpl.java:216)

	at org.jdom.output.DOMOutputter.output(DOMOutputter.java:144)
	at
com.thomson.cms.comsub.proxy.message.MessageTest.doTest(MessageTest.java:45)

	at
com.thomson.cms.comsub.proxy.message.MessageTest.main(MessageTest.java:69)

I'm using JAXP with a recent Xerces CVS snapshot version of
DocumentBuilderFactory.
With Xerces 1.3, I just get a null document from the outputter and no
exceptions.

I have tried this with Crimson, and it works.

Is this a bug in Xerces, or a bug in JDOM? I've seen some discussion of
similar problems on the
mailing list and in the archives, but I haven't found a satisfactory
solution to the problem (using
Crimson is not an option, so I need to use Xerces.)

Any ideas would be appreciated.  I would be happy to post this to the Xerces
list if this is not a
JDOM issue.

Thank you in advance for your respose,

-- Alex