[jdom-interest] XML tree traversing

Mores Stanislav stm at prosoft.sk
Tue Jan 2 00:58:43 PST 2001

Here is what I want to do:

I want to improve my framework for Java Servlet
application development - I have used standard
java.util.Properties to store application
properties, but now I want to replace it with
some XML-based solution.

To centralize property management, all applications
derived from my framework have the method
  void onPropertyChange(String property_name, String value, Number
num_value);
which is called anytime the application property is changed.

Therefore, when application (and its XML property file) is loaded
I need to traverse whole XML tree to trigger onPropertyMethod
for each XML node (element or element's attribute).
I know that I can use getChildren().iterator(), but I wanted
to avoid "(Element) iterator.next()" conversion
(am I not lazy ? ;-) and also memory overhead (that would
be true only if internal representation in JDOM has changed
e.g. there is no "protected List content;" but something like
"protected Node firstChild;").
Anyway, it is not causing me to much pain :-), I can traverse XML tree
with JDOM pretty well, but I've asked this question because it concerns more
general software design and I wanted to know your opinion.

What I'm really missing in JDOM is some minimal support for XPath.
As you see, my onPropertyChange method has argument property_name,
and I think the best option would be XPath.
Therefore when traversing XML tree I need method that gives me
XPath of the current node (element or element's attribute - in
my case both can carry application property).
I also need method for obtaining node (again element or element's
attribute) for given XPath.
Are you or somebody else working on this issue ?

Thanks.

									Stm.

uraddr at yourhost.com