[jdom-interest] Parents - why do we need them?

Szegedi, Attila szegedi at scriptum.hu
Tue Jul 3 07:39:52 PDT 2001

This idea could work if JDOM were architected as a set of interfaces +
default implementations. In that scenario, if Element were an interface, one
could have a JTextBox subclass that also implements the Element interface -
a JDOM aware JTextBox (don't get me wrong - I do not favor the actual idea
of crossing Swing with JDOM on controller level, this is just an example
used in previous posts). If that gets passed to a JDOM method, it would
certainly be a conscious decision on behalf of the developer, not a mistake
that should be indicated by throwing an exception.

Now that JDOM uses factories all over instead of direct instantiation
through "new", I really see no obstacle to separation of JDOM into
interfaces (org.jdom.Element, org.jdom.Attribute, org.jdom.Document, etc.)
and default implementations (org.jdom.impl.ElementImpl,
org.jdom.impl.AttributeImpl, org.jdom.impl.DocumentImpl, etc.) I don't see
that being API bloating. Conversely, I see it as an opportunity for people
to write their specialized Element etc. classes from scratch instead of
necessarily subclassing existing JDOM classes.

Opinions?

Attila.