[jdom-interest] Extensible Linking Language (XLL)

bob mcwhirter bob at werken.com
Mon Mar 5 11:51:26 PST 2001

> Hello all,
>     Our XML Documents would like to reference information from one node in
> another within the same document.(cf. e.g.)
> We are looking into XLink and XPointer for accessing this information.
> I was perusing the jdom-interest archives for XLL info, but I don't think
> anyone has broached the subject yet.
>     I know these are tangential JDOM-interest questions, but . . .
> -does JDOM support XLink and XPointer?;
> -is it even necessary to support? (id est. does XLL simply supply internal
> XML functionality);
> -is this the right direction to pursue? or is their some easy way to
> accomplish this task without having to use Xwhatever?
> Exampla Gratia:
> <root>
>     <child id="1">
>         <grandchild id="1">Some Info</grandchild>
>     </child>
>     <child id="2">
>         <grandchild id="2">getInfoFromGrandchild[@id="1"]</grandchild>
>     </child>
> </root>
> Thanks in advance (and apologies if this is entirely off topic).

Well, looks like you're tryign XPath, kinda, which supports a
simple id("1") filter expression for selecting things.  Though,
this still all kinda relies on your application applying
whatever semantics you really want.

JDOM doesnt have some XPath support.

Additionally, XPointer is built on XPath, but I haven't
investigated it too much.

Really, I don't think I have enough info to truly give you
a satisfactory answer.