[jdom-interest] For consideration

Amy Lewis amyzing at talsever.com
Fri May 4 21:39:37 PDT 2001

On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 01:58:57PM -0700, James Duncan Davidson wrote:
>> I think Collection would qualify as interesting.  It has 15 methods.  A
>> List only has 25 total, so the majority of List is inherited from
>> Collection.
>
>What is truly interesting is that there are no *wasted* methods from
>Collection in List. List truly isa Collection in that every method from
>Collection is meaningful. This in contrast to the DOM style of using
>interfaces where methods that don't do anything are still around.
>
>IOW, I don't want to see a fly() method on something doesn't have wings.

Real world: squirrels fly() (at least well enough) without wings (they
glide, really, but they have gliding surfaces).  Rockets fly().
Ostriches don't fly() (but have wings).  A number of boats have
surfaces that probably qualify as "wings" and serve a similar purpose
in liquid instead of air ... but they don't fly(), except
metaphorically.

IOW, if the exceptions reflect reality, I can live with Bird.fly(),
even if some Birds have to throw OperationNotSupportedException (which,
btw, was *introduced* with the introduction of the new Collections
classes, and caused a tempest in a teapot as a result).

Amy!
--
Amelia A. Lewis          alicorn at mindspring.com          amyzing at talsever.com
You like the taste of danger, it shines like sugar on your lips, and you like