[jdom-interest] Default namespace / getChild()

philip.nelson at omniresources.com philip.nelson at omniresources.com
Fri May 11 20:26:42 PDT 2001

>The behaviour that I think would be most intuitive would be if children
were assumed to be in >>the same namespace as their parent UNLESS they
declare otherwise.  Element does work this way >already, as evidenced by the
Namespace-less signature not working on my sample XML, but
>Element.getChild() does not work in a way consistent with this.

I argued your point for a couple of weeks and I was not the first.  However,
the api is actually very consistent.  It is always explicit about
namespaces.  JDOM does not directly model the text and as long as you are
explicit about namespaces you will get what you want.

Check the archives if you want to review the discussion.

-Matt