[jdom-interest] ResultSetBuilder and Date Problems

Abhishek Srivastava abhisheks at india.hp.com
Sat May 26 04:06:52 PDT 2001

Hello All,

I successfully converted a JDBC ResultSet into a JDOM structure. The XML
produced looks as follows
<result>
	<entry>
        <CREATED_AT>Thu May 24 00:00:00 GMT+05:30 2001</CREATED_AT>
	</entry>
</result>

Now I want to read this XML and insert into another DB

But when I try to convert the String (CREATED_AT) produced by the ResultSet
Builder into a date I get an exception.

How Can I convert the string produced by the ResultSet Builder into a
java.sql.date ?

I tried the following

String date =
root.getRootElement().getChild("entry").getChild("CREATED_AT").getText();
java.sql.Date sqlDate = new
java.sql.Date(DateFormat.getDateTimeInstance(DateFormat.FULL).parse(date).ge
tTime());

The error I got was

java.text.ParseException: Unparseable date: "Thu May 24 00:00:00 GMT+05:30
2001"
        at java.text.DateFormat.parse(DateFormat.java:324)

I feel that the ResultSetBuilder should produce a string that the DateFormat
class can parse back into a java.sql.Date.

What do youjava.text.ParseException: Unparseable date: "Thu May 24 00:00:00
GMT+05:30 2001"
        at java.text.DateFormat.parse(DateFormat.java:324)

I feel that the ResultSetBuilder should produce the string output of a date
that the date format class can parse back into a date.

regards,
Abhishek.

         The most exciting phrase in science, the one which heralds
         new discoveries, is not Eureka!! but 'That's Funny'
                                       -- Issac Asimov.